After Biopsy Post-Op Care
Sometimes the after-effects of surgery are quite minimal, so not all of the instructions may apply. Common sense will often dictate what you should do. sin embargo, when in doubt, follow these guidelines or call our office.
Día de la operación
- Change gauze every 15 minutes until bleeding has stopped. Bleeding could last for more than an hour.
- Start prescriptions soon after surgery.Make sure to have food in your stomach to help avoid nausea.
- Consume cold foods and drinks for the next few hours. (yogur, apple sauce, batidos) Stay away from spicy or acidic foods/drinks
- Depending on where your biopsy was you can use crushed ice on wound 1 hour after procedure or hold an ice pack on cheek. Apply ice to the area if needed 15 minutes on/15 minutes off.
- Stay off your feet for the next few hours as throbbing or bleeding may occur. Don’t be active.
- Keep your head elevated
- Avoid smoking for at least 3 days after the surgery, as this increases the risk of infection
Day(s) after Surgery
- Rinse gently with lukewarm saltwater solution (una ½ cucharadita de sal por medio vaso de agua tibia) or prescribed mouthwash after each meal and at bedtime.
- Continue ice treatment to help with potential swelling. Swelling may be at a maximum 2-3 days after surgery.
- The teeth should be brushed, but avoid the site of surgery for several days.
Common Symptoms Include:
- Soreness or tenderness of the area
- Numbness from the anesthesia (should wear off within a few hours)
- At your follow up the doctor will review the results of the biopsy with you and evaluate the area. If sutures are still in place at the time of your follow up the we will remove them.
La mayoría de las veces, the lesion removed will be mailed to a pathologist to review. The pathologist will send back a formal report that tells us what the removed tissue actually turned out to be. Results will be reviewed when you return for your follow up. The pathology lab is a separate facility from our office. All billing questions regarding their services should be directed toward them.