Before & After Anesthesia
Before Oral Surgery Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Coviello and Dr. Starley prior to your surgical date for instructions.
After Surgery Under Anesthesia
It usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour to recover completely from general anesthesia.
You may experience the following after your procedure:
Patients should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.